10.05.2010

Knitted structures

Weft knitted
Neighbouring loops of one course are created from the same yarn.
- Elastic, stretchable and easily deformed.
Introducing oriented yarns into the structure to increase mechanical properties.

Warp knitted
Neighbouring loops of one course are not created from the same yarn.
- Mechanical properties are in many cases similar to those of woven structures.

Source:Goran Demboski, Gordana Bogoeva G.;'Textiles structures for technical textiles' in Bulletin of the Chemists and Technologists of Macedonia, Vol.24, No1, 2004

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I found your weblink via the Kangaroo Blog.

    I wanted to contact you because it seems our research is running parallel to one another. My name is Alex and I am working on my thesis at Virginia Tech.

    Like you I am exploring the relationship of textile computing as it pertains to architectural design. However, I am specifically focusing on Crochet. I have done similar models to yours both in analog and digital, using Grasshopper and rhino.

    It sounds like we are in the same boat regarding kangaroo. I have been wanting to start using kangaroo however I have not found many tutorials or much help on using the engine. I thought if started a dialog perhaps we could help eachother with learning the engine.

    I look forward to hearing from you

    Sincerely
    Alex

    www.alex.worden.net

    alex@worden.net

    ReplyDelete